Manage PermissionsManage Permissions


Notice to Retired Military Veterans Concerning Free Pistol Permits Beginning August 1, 2016


Those persons who are non-disability retirees from active duty in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard or any Reserve or National Guard Component Thereof....‚Äč                              

Any retired military veteran who meets the conditions for issuance of a pistol permit pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, Code of Alabama, 1975, shall be eligible to obtain the pistol permit without paying a fee, upon approval of the pistol permit application.

The Sheriff of the County in which the veteran resides shall issue the permit upon presentation by the retired military veteran of the United States Government issued veteran identification card or a DD-214 proof of Military service form and sufficient proof that the person is a military retiree.

The retried military veteran shall apply for renewal as required by law, but shall be eligible to obtain renewed pistol permits without paying a fee as long as he or she meets the conditions for renewal of the permit.

Return To Sheriff's News